The Manuka Swimming Pool originally named “The Swimming Pool” was officially opened on the 26th January 1931. Canberra’s first pool is an exceptional work of Federal Art Deco style designed by principal architect E H Henderson. The pool was built in part by sustenance workers for a cost of ten thousand pounds.
Before its completion, Canberrans swam in the Molonglo River and other local swimming holes at the Cotter and Murrumbidgee Rivers. Canberra's first pool was built on the south side as it was closer to more Canberra residents than any north side location. Since the pool’s opening it has been the focal point for social activities during the summer months.
The facility is proudly managed by Big Island Sports Manuka Pty Ltd on behalf of the ACT Government.